Every day, through TV and social media, we are being bombarded with advice to tell us to lose weight and get healthier. Especially in the light of COVID-19. According to the NHS people with avoidable problems such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and the very obese (a BMI of over 40) have moderate risk of being hospitalised if they contract the virus. They have even started a new advertising campaign to encourage millions of people to kick start their health and reduce the risk of serious illness, COVID-19 included.

Now this is all well and good and I totally applaud their steps towards helping people, but it’s hard to know where to start. So here are 6 easy steps to point you in the right direction to start the ignition on your lifestyle.

  1. I am not going to tell you to stop eating rubbish food as let’s be honest, those foods are often so yummy. If you cut out foods, you tend to want them more and then binge on them to excess. But what I will tell you is it’s about moderation. Try to eat good whole foods and lean protein 80% of the time. The other 20% if you wanna eat the cake then go for it.
  2. Sleep deficiency has been linked to an increase in the risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure and stroke. Sleep is when your body repairs itself. It’s simple, don’t get enough sleep and your body can’t make the repairs it needs to function optimally. Try to go to sleep at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning, even weekends. Making sure you get 7-9 hours’ sleep each night.
  3. Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!! I cannot stress this enough. You need to drink water and at least 2L or 8 big glasses per day. A lack of water can lead to digestion issues and sugar cravings, amongst many other things. Want to help curb that sweet tooth? Make sure you are hydrated. And that’s not tea, coffee, soft drinks, fizzy drinks etc. Its water, pure and simple.
  4. If you are new to exercise it can be daunting to know where to start. There are many forms of exercise that are free. Try brisk walking, then add in a little gentle jogging. Bike riding. Dancing in your living room. Anything that gets you out of breath for 20-30 minutes a minimum of 3 times per week.
  5. NEAT exercise – this stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis. Basically, it means movement that does not necessarily get you out of breath but its still movement. This can include dog walking, gardening, housework. Try to get in 10,000 steps per day as a guide
  6. Ask for help. If you really do not know how to start, then find a local personal trainer and get started. They can give you a wealth of knowledge and a plan to ignite you towards your best lifestyle.

So there we have it, a few easy steps to help you on your way.

If you would like more help with food and movement or to work with me please contact 07825251470 or follow me on Instagram @igniteyourlifestyle.